Need an attorney in YOUR corner for life’s challenges?

At the Law Office of Ellen M. Ross, that’s what you can count on.

Call Us Today at (303) 500-5116

Divorce Law

Am I Going to Lose Everything?

Colorado is an equitable division state, which means that the court’s goal is to divide your assets and debts in a way that is fair, although not necessarily equal. Colorado is also a no-fault state.

The court will not consider the reasons for your divorce unless there is financial fault.  Secreting or dissipating assets is something that the court will consider when dividing a couple’s property. You will not lose everything.

When you decide to get a divorce, you may feel that your world is turned upside down and  be overwhelmed by the unknowns of the future. Maybe your spouse is the main wage earner of the household or maybe you relied on two incomes. Either way, you are wondering what the future holds and whether you can afford to maintain your current lifestyle, even if it is a fairly simple one. At the Law Office of Ellen M. Ross, we are here to help demystify the process so that you can transition from your current situation and confidently begin to rebuild your life. 

When you seek our assistance, we will help you understand what this all means for you. We will listen to you and evaluate your situation, combining your insights and goals with our experience and legal expertise to develop a customized strategy for you that’s focused on realistic outcomes. It is sometimes necessary for you to consult with other experts such as financial planners, mortgage brokers and accountants. We will advise you on when you should seek third-party assistance.

My Former Partner is Being Very Difficult. What Do I Do?

Unfortunately, many divorces do not always progress smoothly, even if you try to keep things amicable. 

We have extensive experience in dealing with narcissists and other challenging personalities, so we can help you navigate those difficulties through the divorce process. When you work with us, we will help you feel comfortable with managing your situation. You will receive practical advice for how to deal with your spouse. We always strive for amicable solutions, when possible, with a focus on ensuring that you receive what you deserve. If remaining amicable or even civil is not possible, we will represent you zealously and give you advice to shield yourself from the toxic behaviors of your spouse.

For example, for some couples, it is productive for them to talk to each other and iron out the small issues, such as altering the exchange time for the children to accommodate a special schedule or who will pay utility bills this month. However, if even the simplest issues cannot be resolved without bullying, manipulation or a huge fight, we help you to avoid being subjected to that behavior by advising on how to set boundaries: Stop reading abusive e-mails or remove yourself from the situation when your mate is being aggressive. Simple solutions can make a big difference to your well-being. 

Additionally, we offer a lending library of helpful books on topics dealing with narcissists, passive-aggressive behaviors, domestic violence, parenting, self-help and self-awareness.

Once the Divorce is Official, Is Everything Final? Am I Done?

When minor children are involved, nothing is ever final.

Once you have made it through the divorce process, you are probably relieved that it is over. The good news is that your divorce from your spouse is complete.  The asset and debt division is final and, unless there was fraud, will typically not be modified. However, when minor children are involved, nothing is ever final regarding them. The ongoing issue to consider is always what is in the best interest of the child.

Circumstances for you, your former partner or your children may change — maybe you want to move, you have won the lottery or plan to remarry — and with those changes may come the necessity to adjust parenting plans and/or child support. 

If you think it is in your child(ren)’s best interest to make a change, we are here to assist you in making that determination. We can help you negotiate a new parenting plan, modify child support, or file a motion with the court for that determination to be made if you and your ex-spouse cannot reach an agreement.

Our goal is to gain an understanding of your situation, what your ideal outcome is and what challenges you may encounter. You will always receive our honest advice for your specific situation, and sometimes that means that you may not receive your desired outcome in court. You can feel confident in knowing that we consider all aspects of your case to assess all the potential outcomes and determine the best strategies for getting what is best for you and your children.

Close Menu